I was looking at a tutorial for creating a settings bundle for my app and it had separate files for different languages. I realised that I hadn't a clue how to localize iOS applications. I decided I'd better look into it now, rather than at the end of development, in case it required me to change existing code. Much better to implement with localization in mind, than retrofit at the end of development.
I'm interested to see how many translations I'll be able to include in the app. I'm not sure how easy it will be to do the translation or even how much text there will be to translate. I'm planning a Chinese translation and for sentimental reasons I'll do an Irish translation. I'll probably try to get some European languages done also. I think that once I put in the infrastructure to do one language then adding additional ones shouldn't be too much bother.
The basics of implementing localization is that you externalize all strings in your application to .strings files and then provide versions of these files for each language you support. The process for creating the basic localization.strings file is outlined here. In your code you can get the localized values for these strings using
NSLocalizedString(@"Externalized String Name", @"").
Using this method, we will have to deal with lots of .strings files. Xcode doesn't provide much help here so I looked around for third party apps. I bought Linguan on the Mac App Store and it looks very good. You point it at an Xcode project file and it locates all the .strings files and presents them in a nice table. It can generate text files which you can send on to your translators for them to translate and re-import their translations. I'm very pleased with it so far.
Apart from having .strings files for strings in the code, I also need to localize the app's storyboards. Albert Mata has a fantastic tutorial on how to do this here. A big problem with localizing storyboards is that changes in one language's storyboards are not propagated to the others. Manually keeping these in sync would be a nightmare. Thankfully there is a handy script here by Ederson Machado, which will update the .strings files for the storyboard and also keep the storyboards in sync. There is a nice video outlining the features of the script here. By adding this script as a build run script, we can ensure that our storyboards are always in sync.
My localization workflow is as follows:
I'm satisfied now that I have the localization mostly under control. One thing I still need to look at is how does this affect testing. Hopefully any test framework that I used will be able to run the tests in all languages.
→ posted on May 19, 2012development